Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Episode 5: The Self Esteem Train

So, I have all these friends that are photographers. And, I have all these other friends that are "theater people." We have a local community theater in which my husband and his family are very active, and we've met several of our friends through it. Well, with the advent of facebook, I get to see all of their pictures of each other. While I mostly love to see pictures of all of my friends on their wild escapades (that ladies with babies don't get to have anymore), sometimes they make me feel sad.

You see, I'm fat. Chunky, fluffy, Big-and-Lovely, p-h-a-t, whatever you want to call it, I am bigger than I feel like I should be. I felt really great for a while after my pregnancy, as I had actually LOST weight overall, but the belly has been rearing it's ugly head (or belly button, or whatever). Also, having breastfed for nearly 18 months, I have been feeling fairly unsexy recently.

Anyway, back to the topic. My friends all love to take pictures of themselves and each other, and they do silly faces and cute stuff all the time. And they always, always look just adorable. I, on the other hand, try to do silly and cute stuff in pictures, and I just feel like I look stupid and dopey. I wish I could take these lovely, adorable, cutesy pictures, but I just feel like I look silly.

Maybe everyone feels this way. Or, maybe I just look like an idiot all the time. I just really wish that I could look objectively at a picture and say, "Oh, that one's cute" or "Oh, that one's not bad." Maybe I need to follow Tyra's advice and practice in the mirror. Or, maybe this is all just academic. My friends that are photographers probably take a hundred pictures that never make FB for each one that does.

Anyway, for now, I'll just try to keep concentrating on the pictures that I do have of myself that I love, like these:

LM was so sick this day!

Taken by Marizabeth (of course!)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, man. You are SO not alone!

    First, I miss you a lot! I know saying we need to get together is totally different than actually getting together and my schedule is a little intense right now. But, I say we need to get together. And we will as soon as we can. Expect an invite to renovated kitchen land. It will be epic. I hope...

    Secondly, Patchie and I were JUST saying today how we both feel all bloated and weird looking lately. I feel like I look like the Stay Puffed Man in photos. Not cute. I just post everything and anything because I guess it's how I look, so there isn't much I can change about that. I am trying to lose weight and eat better and exercise, but I am what I am. So I am trying to embrace it. Everyone looks at photos of themselves and goes "oh God, is THAT what I really look like?" Don't worry too much about it. :)

    I love that you love that picture with your clips so much! It makes me smile. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am guilty of posting 1 picture for evey 50 I take.

    I started making faces in pictures because if I'm trying to look dumb and then succeed, I feel like it can never fall into the "bad" picture category, because other people will look at it and go "well clearly she was TRYING to look that bad!"

    While I can't make Sheep & Wool this year, We should haev a yarn party of some sort at some point. Knit and teach others to knit and eat goodies and drink lemonade. It will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marizabeth: Oooh, renovated kitchen land, it sounds like an excellent amusement park. It would have upside-down fork slides and a haunted house where you almost get chopped up by the knives....

    Patchie: I love the idea of a yarn party! I even have plenty in my stash that I could donate.

    You guys all know that I'm usually not really hung up on the way I look. I was having a weird day when I wrote this, and thought about just deleting it before posting a few days later. But, I figured this blog is supposed to be about me, right, so it should include even my down days. When they happen. Which is rare!

    ReplyDelete