Friday, April 8, 2011

Episode 2: All the News That's Fit to Ignore!

I really wanted to make this post about my recent adventures in the kitchen, but I forgot to take a picture of last night's new recipe (Asian-style Steamed Salmon with Broccolini). It was really tasty, but I need to decide what to do about our soy sauce. We've been getting the real kind of soy sauce (with actual soybeans in the ingredients instead of hydrolyzed vegetable proteins), but the brand we have turns the entire recipe alien-blood-black. It's not terribly fresh and appetizing looking. Maybe we'll just try another brand of real soy sauce before going back to the processed stuff.

So, on to the revised theme of today's post: the news. I've been staying home for about 21 months now. I find that I am so far behind on real news that it sometimes seems like I'm lost! I didn't know about Charlie Sheen's meltdown until two weeks after it happened, I didn't know we were bombing another country for two days! Of course, I'm all kinds of informed about preschool television news, though. For example, Captain Feathersword is predicting a flurry of fluttering butterflies today, and that Chloe Anderson went to play at her friend's house last Sunday (thanks, What's Your News!).

I'm not really sure what the best way will be for me to keep up with real news. I usually watch the Today show while I get ready in the morning, but since I don't get up until 7, I'm stuck with a lot more fluff pieces than real news. Today was a report on the 75th anniversary of school pictures and an interview with Robert Redford. Not so much the news I care about. I think I'll have to try to get to the computer during the day, to get my news the way I used to, from the Verizon main page!

Also, as a resident of a Southern Maryland town, I have no hope of getting any local news except through the local newspaper, which I would never read anyway. The only TV news here is DC news. I know more about DC politics than I do about the politics of the town in which I live! Luckily, I married into the family that knows EVERYONE in town, so we get a lot of local news the old-fashioned, small town way.

In other news, two posts in three days?! Go me!

1 comment:

  1. I use Google News when I want to read the latest headlines. Since my homepage is set to Google already, I just click on the News tab at the top of the page. You can select from Top Stories, World, Local, etc.

    ReplyDelete